Pages

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

7. A picture of someone/something that has had a big impact on you…

 

It took me quite some time to come up with an answer to this question….an answer that wasn’t super obvious.  Finally, I came up with an answer that should have been obvious to me:  The ocean.  I’ve lived near an ocean for almost my entire life – I can’t imagine leaving it.  Why, you ask?  Give me five minutes, and I’ll try and convey my reasoning as succinctly as possible. 

I have a picture of my childhood.  I’m holding my mom/dad’s hand, walking.  It doesn’t matter where…I didn’t care.  Because I knew that no matter where we went, they were there to take care of me.  I was small, and safe, without a care in the world.

These days it’s different.  I don’t think  I need to go into why.  You all know the struggles and frustrations as well, or better, than I do. 

It can be difficult for me to grasp the power and sheer magnitude of God.  I remember one day, going to the ocean and realizing that this must be what it’s like to be in His presence and feel it….really feel  Him.  I felt small, and not in a bad way.

When I slow down long enough to take a breath and look to God, I feel like I can breathe for the first time in a long time.  The ocean makes me slow down…it’s size and power are unavoidable, it confronts me in the best kind of way.  My problems are not the end all.  The God who made this ocean must certainly be greater than the worries that cling.  He can protect me with the ferociousness of the crashing waves.  He can soothe me like the cool breeze, and the gently swirling salt water that gathers at the sandy edge.  He is as steady as the chorus of the waves coming in and going out.  In the face of change, He remains the same. 

 

All that from a day at the beach ;)

No comments: